Thursday, June 16, 2016

REVIEW | Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50

My first venture into the world of BB cushions, à la L'oreal's Lucent Magique Cushion Lumierewas a successful one, so I decided to give the Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50 PA+++ a try after chancing upon a Youtube ad -  they got me good. Let's see how this one fared!

REVIEW | Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50 PA+++
Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50 PA+++
$180 HKD at Innisfree (around $23 USD)
15g, 0.5oz | 4 shades

Innisfree is a Korean cosmetics brand and is known for using natural and organic ingredients with an eco-friendly approach to all their products and packaging. For example, all the products are housed in 100% recyclable containers, and the labels are made from eco-friendly tangerine skin. Say what?! So awesome.

There are three different Innisfree cushions - this Long Wear Cushion for oily skin, the Water Glow Cushion for combination skin and the Ampoule Intense Cushion for dry skin - and of course, your oily-skinned pal here chose the Long Wear Cushion formulated to "keep the skin smooth and bright for a long time", and it contains sebum-controlling Jeju volcanic powder to ensure I stay (relatively) matte and shine-free. The packaging is standard of any cushion foundation - you get a nice mirror and sponge puff, with the cushion underneath the plastic separator. Simple, white packaging - I dig it.

REVIEW | Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50 PA+++
REVIEW | Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50 PA+++

There are a total of four shades to choose from - 13 Light Beige, 21 Natural Beige, 23 True Beige and 31 Deep Beige - and I have 23 True Beige which is still a touch too light on my face but the best match out of the range, and it does oxidize slightly. The texture is smooth but quite a bit stiffer than the L'oreal version, meaning it does take more effort to pat and blend in. The foundation is matte upon application, and using the sponge puff gives you a slightly cooling sensation on the skin. The coverage is medium with just one layer and can be built up to full without getting cakey. It did a decent job with concealing my dark circles and I didn't need nearly as much concealer, which is always a plus. For you odor-sensitive peeps, there is a light, herbally scent to this that dissipates soon after application, so fret not!

REVIEW | Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF50 PA+++ - 23 True Beige Swatch | Blended out
Swatched | Blended out

After trying this cushion a handful of times, I've found that this is truly the only base that has succeeded in keeping my oily skin in check in the humid, sticky, gross weather that has currently taken over Hong Kong. I'm impressed! Like I mentioned before, the finish is almost completely matte upon application, and as the day goes on, it turns into a dewy glow but never looks greasy. Woot-woot! It really does keep me from looking like an oily grease-ball after a full day of running around (or rather, of running after my dog) and lasts for a long, full day without fading. This even held up amazingly well when I tried it without any setting or mattifying powder! So needless to say, this has definitely become my current go-to foundation for the hot, balmy weather thanks to the high SPF and superior oil-controlling properties.

However, I have to mention that this cushion really looks and feels like makeup. Ya know what I'm saying? It's not as lightweight on the face as I hoped for - at times even a bit heavy - and if someone were to stand right in front of you and stare at your face, they'd be able to tell that you're wearing a full-coverage foundation. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for those of you who like natural, undetectable coverage and I-woke-up-like-dis skin, this is definitely not for you. Also, if you have dry skin - stay far, far away! This will not be forgiving on any dry patches, and you'd be better off trying their Ampoule Intense or Water Glow Cushions. For all other skin types who want to try this version out, make sure you do some heavy duty moisturizing beforehand and you should be good to go.

Innisfree Long Wear Cushion 23 True Beige | L'oreal Lucent Magique Cushion Lumiere N3 Nude Miracle
Innisfree 23 True Beige | L'oreal Nude Miracle N3

So there you have it. If you have oily skin and want a high-coverage base that can rein in that shine, I think you would really get along with this Innisfree Long Wear Cushion. If you still prefer more lightweight bases with a natural coverage, then go for the L'oreal Lucent Magique Cushion LumiereBut be reminded - both have SPF and will give you a white case so refrain from wearing them around any flash photography. Ya hear me?!

Let's hope, for my wallet's sake, that I don't start developing a cushion foundation obsessi - oops, too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment